Make sure your children see you read.
- Let books loose – leave them on the coffee table, the kitchen bench, beside the bed…
- Get a newspaper or a magazine occasionally and read in front of your children. Show them that information is not just on a smartphone screen.
- Take your child to your local library regularly. Make it part of your regular shopping routine.
- Talk about book(s) you have read.
- Be sure to set the example when their friends are around – influence the peer pressure!
Reading does not just happen on a screen, and the type of information we get from screen based sources is often very different from that we get from the printed word. Show them the difference. Show them the printed word is important.