Read to and with your child.
- Notice the book(s) your child seems attracted to. Read and re-read with them. You might be bored but they won’t be.
- Savour the words. Take your time. Point at any related illustrations and elaborate on the story.
- If they are attracted to a particular character (like Thomas the Tank Engine) take your child to the library and help them find more books on the same character or subject.
- Show them that you read – curl up on the couch with a book. Laugh out loud when you read – even if it drives them mad.
- Be grateful and enthusiastic when their grandparents buy them a book as a gift – even if the child would have preferred the latest toy!
And remember they are never too old to share reading a book. I have very fond memories of reading Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy out loud with my teenagers. (It was a family favourite and we could and still do quote parts verbatim!)